Change the Order of devices in the Devices list

I would like to arrange the view order of the cameras in the ring app.
I asked support about doing this over a year ago and was told at that
time to uninstall the cameras and re-install them in the order I wanted to show in the ring app view.
This solution did not work.

I would like the view order of my cameras in the app to be as follows:

1. Garage
  2. Front Door
  3. Front Porch
  4. Slide Yard
  5. Backyard

I want to be able to control the way the camers are shown in the ring app.

Hi @gerryr ,

I’m looking for a little clarification about what you wrote.

1.) When you said, “control the way the cameras are shown” , are you referring to:

• The video ‘tiles’ of the Camera Video pictures displayed on the main Dashboard of the Ring App?
  • Or the order the cameras are listed, when you go to “Devices” page?

2.) And which Ring App are you referring to?

• iOS Ring App for mobile iPhones and iPads?
  • Mac laptops/PCs?
  • Android Ring App for mobile phones and Android tablets?
  • Windows 10 Ring App for laptops/PCs?
  • Logging on directly with your web browser to www.ring.com and then select “My Dashboard” at the upper-right-corner?

I guess my confusion is because you already can move/rearrange the Video Tiles on your Dashboard, except for the Windows version of the Ring App.

For Apple devices using the iOS Ring App:

• Dashboard Video Tiles: YES , you can move and rearrange the tile order. Hold & pause your finger on the upper white border of the camera’s Video display and slide the whole tile to new position, and release.
  • Device Page listing: No (non-movable). Doorbell listed first, and then followed by remaining Security Cameras in alphabetical order.

Mac devices using the Mac Ring App:

• Dashboard Video Tiles: Probably. I do not know. I don’t own a Mac, but I assume it is like the iOS App.
  • Device Page listing: Probably not. I do not know. I don’t own a Mac, but I assume it is like the iOS App.

For Android devices using the Android Ring App:

• Dashboard Video Tiles: YES , you can move and rearrange the tile order. Hold & pause your finger on the upper white border of the camera’s Video display and then slide the whole tile to new position, and release.
  • Device Page listing: No (non-movable). Doorbell listed first, and then followed by remaining Security Cameras in alphabetical order.

For Windows 10 devices using the Windows 10 Ring App:

• Dashboard Video Tiles: No , you can not move and rearrange the tile order. DIsplayed tile are arrange first with the Doorbell, and then followed by Security Cameras in alphabetical order.
  • Device Page listing: No (non-movable). All camera devices in alphabetical order.

Logging on web browser to www.ring.com and then select “My Dashboard”:

• Dashboard Video Tiles: YES , you can move and rearrange the tile order. Hold & pause your cursor on the upper white border of the camera’s Video display and then slide the whole tile to new position, and release.
  • Device Page listing: No (non-movable). Doorbell listed first, and then followed by remaining Security Cameras that are not alphabetical order, Appears they are ‘grouped’ by type of camera (Indoor cam, Stick-Up cam, etc) and in no apparent ordered.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/204384784-Downloading-and-Updating-the-Ring-App

So, I don’t think you were referring to the Device page listing, but they are not movable. If you are referring to the way the cameras are arranged in the Video Dashboard, viewing using Dashboard at www.ring.com and in the all the Ring Apps (except Windows App) you already can place the Video Tiles in whatever order you choose.

So should this Request be relabeled for just WIndows 10 Ring App for when you want it on your PC ? Or you could use the www.ring.com Dashboard instead until they fix the Windows App?

3 Likes

Please make it so the PC app allows you to move the camera windows to a desired order.

2 Likes

Yes, let us rearrange the cameras in the Windows app (why not?).

For now I’m having to rename them. Sigh.

1 Like

Thanks for this info. I’m using the Android Ring app, and your tip for re-ordering cameras in the Dashboard worked perfectly. I’m a newbie on my first day of Community membership.

1 Like

I was able to reorder the cameras under Devices in my Ring app on my iPhone.

I noticed they were in alphabetical order but wasn’t sure if it was a coincidence. I thought I’d try adding a number 1 before the device name for the one I wanted first, then added number 2 before the next device name and a number 3 before the device name for the one I wanted last in the list.

So now the devices are named as follows, and are in the order I want them in:

Device Names:
1 Front Door
2 Porch
3 Back Door

Much easier than uninstalling and reinstalling, which evidently doesn’t work anyway according to this thread. Probably because the default is alphabetical order. But since they all now begin with a number, it’s sorting on the numbers instead!

Of note: it initially looked like it didn’t work as it didn’t reorder the devices in the list under “Devices.” However, I discovered when I completely closed out the Ring app by swiping it closed on my iPhone, when I went back into the Ring app after completely closing it, they were now in the order I wanted them, sorting by number instead of first letter of the device name!

On the dashboard I was able to press on each one to drag them into the order I wanted then in there. So that was easy! Just as this thread mentions!

Yay! Success!

We’ve used Ring and Ring App since about 2019 and while it’s got it’s quirks, it’s ok. In line with this question since we’ve started using the App we have been able to order the cam locations in the dashboard area to our choosing as someone else pointed out by clicking and holding and dragging/moving the various cam icons to where we want them. However in the last 3-6 months for some unknown reason.(most likely an app update) They are constantly being reordered on their own.

Whether we move them to the desired order or just leave them in their jumbled mess they are just randomly moved around which is making it a hot mess when we want to zero in on a specific cam/cams. Now with someone who has 1-4 cams not a big deal most likely but we have 24 cams. This makes things very unpleasant. We have 10 adopted children and half are special needs kiddo’s we have to keep eyes on and check up on regularly and we can’t be chasing them all through our home.

We would really love for this to be fixed. This is affecting 4 different Android devices. 3 Samsung Galaxy phones and a Galaxy Tab. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the App on 2 of the deivces with no change. I’ve even done a factory reset on the tablet to see if that might do it and no luck.

Thanks

When clicking on “Devices” in the app, the list of all my cameras appears. It would be helpful to have an option to rearrange how I see this list; to be able to move them up or down in an order I want.

Thanks.