Can Ring Doorbell batteries be reused?

I have a Ring Doorbell 2 and a Ring Doorbell 3. I’d like to use the battery of the 2 to make sure the 3 works while I’m charging its battery.

But it seems like when I place 2’s battery in 3, 3 will work (as it capture motion events), but the battery % doesn’t change in the app and if the % is low enough, live view will not work because the battery is too low. This happens even if 2’s battery is full charged.

So I’m curious, is there some difference between those two batteries? Is there any way I can get force 3 to recognize there’s a new battery?

Hey @vsanghvi. The batteries for both devices are the same and should read the same way in the app. The battery percentage number may take a bit to update, and you may have to trigger a Live View event or a reconnection in the Device Health section to force an update. If you tap on Reconnect or Change Wifi Network in Device Health, you can walk through another setup of the device to force this updated Device Health Check-In.

Thanks for your response.

I just tried this with the stick up cam. When it was plugged in with a battery, I went through network setup, but after unplugging, just showed up as offline and power source was “Power Outlet” in app with 0% battery. After, I tried it unplugged with the battery, went through network setup, and it shows as power source “Battery” but still offline at 0% in the app.

So its obviously powered to be able to connect to wifi in the first place, but still has an issue.

Btw, its still weird that for my doorbell, when I use the doorbell 2’s battery, it doesn’t work, but the minute I stick in the original battery, it immediately went to 100% battery without me doing any of this. There seems like there’s more going on here.

Any help is appreciated.

By the way, I should mention I tried out the Doorbell 3’s battery in the Stick Up Cam (the one that immediately worked when placed back into the Doorbell). Both batteries fail to be recognized in the Stick Up Cam it seems (although its still powered).

@vsanghvi Thanks for getting back to me and reporting on these new findings! It sounds like you may have a concern with the Stick Up Cam and the Doorbell reading the battery as it should, which would be best to follow up with our support team on for more in-depth troubleshooting. If you can, please give them a call, and let me know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.