Bridge no 5ghz

I want to get a bridge but my 2.4ghz signal is weak. The specs say only 2.4ghz. Why no 5ghz in the bride?

The bridge is a low bandwidth device, so no need for the added bandwidth that 5 GHz can provide. The 2.4 GHz signal can also travel farther, so it would allow more flexibility in locating your bridge where it is within range of all the smart lighting devices.

Are you using separate access points to provide both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz coverage? In theory the 2.4 GHz signal should provide greater range than the 5 GHz signal, so if the 2.4 GHz signal is weak generally the 5 GHz signal would not even be present in that particular location.

1 Like

I am using Linksys velop ax 4200. Three ssid. One 2.4 and 1 5ghz and 1 guest. Speed is much better on 5ghz where 2.4ghz is not as much. Like in my basement right now close to the router I get 50mbps on 2.4ghz and 626 mbps on 5ghz out of 800mbps total. Xfinity xtreme pro 800.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Community, @KJSS! Often times, a 2.4 Ghz wifi frequency will travel over distance and through solid objects more efficiently than a 5 Ghz signal can. As @pdeethardt shared above, using the 2.4 Ghz allows for flexibility in Bridge location.

Try moving the Bridge closer to the router. As it looks like your router might be an advanced model, try checking certain advanced networking features to see if altering these make a difference. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I dont actually have a bridge. I was actually debating weather to get one or not. I thought being only 2.4ghz might not be good. Because I read another post saying some guy bought the mailbox sensor and it had poor signal even being only 50 feet away from the bridge. So I will just buy one and try it.

1 Like

Face similar kind of issue last time, I am still searching for some proper solution.

Target 401k

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying further, @KJSS. Something that may benefit you and @Gleason is the ability to use an Echo device as a Ring Smart Lighting Bridge! Check out our help center article for information on how it works, and which Echo models are compatible with such.

I believe both compatible Echo models are dual band capable. :slight_smile:

I just got an eho dot 4 clock today 38 bucks bestbuy. Price match kohls and 5 dollars rewards.

So we will see. But the bridge is only echo 4? Or dot 4 also?

This will almost always be the case. With the latest specs 5GHz is much faster than 2GHz. 2GHz has better range because it goes through barriers better. That is why many devices designed for use outside only support 2Ghz. It is more reliable under those conditions and manufacturers don’t want to deal with the headache of people who have trouble with 5GHz outside.

It also depends on which standard you devices support. Not all 2GHz or 5GHz Wifi are equal.

802.11b – 11Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11a – 54 Mbps (5 GHz)
802.11g – 54 Mbps (2.4GHz)
802.11n – 600 Mbps (2.4GHz and 5 GHz)
802.11ac – 1300+Mbps (5 GHz)
802.11ax - 1.8Gbps to 4.8Gbps (2GHz, 5GHz, 6GHz)

The 50Mbps you get on your 2.4 GHz network is more than enough to support anything connected to the Ring Bridge.

1 Like

AS I said I have a linksys velop ax 4200 wifi 6.

Your router can support ax speeds. Your devices and your internet connection cannot.

2GHz devices currently on the market will get a max of 600Mbps according to spec. Most of the time they will be much slower in reality. With most home internet connections you could get up to about 1Gbps from 5GHz but as you said, your connection is 800Mbps . You will not go much faster than that on the internet. ISPs often provision a little more than you expect so you could go over 800Mbps but probably not by much.

Device to device on your local network could see ax speeds if your devices support it. I doubt they do. Most likely you won’t get over a max of 600Mbps on 2GHz and 1300MBps 5GHz with your router because the devices don’t support it.

At the 50Mbps you tested over the internet for your 2GHZ network bandwidth will never be a problem with the Ring Bridge. It won’t be sending that much data. As long as you can get an reliable 2GHz signal to the lights inside or outside you will be fine. If you can’t get a reliable 2GHz signal, 5Ghz is unlikely to be any better unless the 2GHz weakness is caused by interference from other devices.

1 Like

Thanks for your effort !!

Same problem i have also faced !!