Blackouts are now hidden!

A great feature of the ring doorbell II that I own was that if the internet went out, or there was a problem with the ring servers, a black bar of no video would be visible on the ring timeline app (at least for android). Q1: Was there a way to see these via the web interface? I don’t think so, but if I am wrong please anyone let me know. Anyway, I no longer get black bars on the timeline of times when there was no coverage. Q2: When did they remove the blackout feature? This is huge, since I have no way of knowing if there was a visitor anymore, since if there was an outage and a visitor, there’s no black streak to know that time had no videos due to an outage.

There is also a post here complaining of a package getting delivered without any video. This is probably the same problem, except that now there are no notifications of outages.

Q3: Why did Ring disable these outage stripes? Like the confirmation bias issue in security, where one only got videos where nothing bad happens (in a poorly designed alarm system where it is easy to disarm a system before it alerts police or anyone) it basically makes the product useless, since you only get some videos and there’s no way to know if you didn’t get a video anymore.

Hi @jasontaylor7. The Ring Community will always have a large red banner across the top of the screen if there is any type of Ring outage. Additionally, in the Ring app Event History Timeline, you should see a message that says “Footage Unavailable” in the event your camera is unable to record. You can also check the status of your Doorbell in the Ring app, under the Device Health tile. I hope this information helps!

Thanks for responding to my post Tom. I really appreciate it.

You wrote, " in the Ring app Event History Timeline, you should see a message that says “Footage Unavailable” in the event your camera is unable to record."

You meant,

" in the Ring app Event History Timeline, you should see a message that says “Footage Unavailable” in the event your camera was unable to record.", right?

If the answer is yes, I don’t see that. I can remove the battery for an hour. Put it back in. Wait another hour. And there’s no difference between the hour with service and the hour without it except that even if there was motion there are no motion videos on the missing hour. If there was actually no movement then there is no way for me to tell that there was an outage that I know of.

Hi there, @jasontaylor7! It looks like the concern you shared here was before the recent status. You are likely aware of our update regarding the Live View status from yesterday, in which this has been resolved as of Feb 10, 22:21 UTC, as mentioned at Status.Ring.com .

Our teams are also looking into your concerns with the Ring app Timeline, event recordings, and any persisting concerns with Live View. There are some great troubleshooting steps available throughout the Community, as it’s always good to cover the basics to be sure of the cause. Nevertheless, we will be sharing this feedback with our teams.

If the concerns mentioned in this thread are persisting for you, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know of any solution you find with them! :slight_smile: