Android Ring app allegedly sharing our data with this parties without permission.

The EFF piece is, at best, sensationalist, irresponsible journalism designed to draw donations to their organization. It makes unsubstantiated claims (re: " simply delivering sensitive data to third parties not accountable to Ring" as if they have read the contracts) that people are parroting as fact. It preys on ignorant people and wants to elicit this kind of uninformed reaction.

I respectfully disagree with you. The fact is that Ring did not disclose this practice. There may be nothing to that relationship, but the fact that Ring is collecting and sending data without telling itā€™s users it is doing so is the problem.

The companies that Ring is sharing data with are troubling for those that are interested in securing their personal information without understanding what that relationship is between Ring, holding our personal data, and what is being sent to those third parties.

It is a bit too much to expect a meaningful response in a user forum, but at some point Ring must show compliance with California AB-375, A.K.A. California Consumer Privacy Act.

I have to disagree with you there. The whole point of user forums is for businesses to be able to engage with their customers. A good company will use forums to allay customer concerns and improve their products which results in a loyal customer base.

Unfortunately, the lack of direct and meaningful response may likely be the responseā€¦

Not living in CA, I had forgotten the Consumer Privacy Act. Lots of websites now have pop up messges that allow you to edit what they collect from you on the spot. Also, I just noticed the other day that Costco.com has on the bottom of their webpages a ā€œDo Not Sell My Personal Informationā€ link that allows any member (not only CA residents) to easily opt out by simply providing membership # and last name. The Costco Privacy Policy shows that it was updated on January 1, 2020, with details on what information they collect, how they use it, how they share it etc. It seems like a good example of how a company can be more transparent and make opting out easier for their customersā€¦