Alexa Arming/Disarming

Hello,

I have just recently bought a Ring Doorbell Pro and 2 outdoor camera’s and have managed to set them up 99% ok.

I have 2 minor issues I’d like some advice on please?

1. Occasionally my Doorbell Pro goes offline spontaneously and then 30 minutes (approximately) it comes back on. The doorbell is hard wired into the power, and the router has been restarted a couple of times. It’s normally late at night, but it has done this a couple of times during the day.

2. I have downloaded the Alexa skill, and connected the camera’s/Doorbell to the Alexa. But whenever I try and do anything on Alexa she replies “Ring doesn’t support that”
    Even if I ask her to show the door camera on the TV, Arm or Disarm, it’s all the same results.

Any suggestions into what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks

Hey @David9Points. When the Doorbell is offline, is this during the times that the router’s connection is temporarily down or being rebooted? In addition, if you check out the Device Health page, does it show anything like a very high RSSI value or a poor power source? If the wifi connection is down, this could be why the Doorbell is falling offline. In addition, if you do not have the proper ports and protocols opened on your network, the Ring device may have a hard time staying connected.

For the latter Alexa question, changing the Modes of your Doorbell and Cameras is not supported through Alexa at this time, so that would be why that’s not working. For the TV, is this a Fire TV that you are trying to pull up the device on to view the Live View? What command are you giving Alexa through your Fire TV or other Alexa supported device to pull up the Live View? You can learn more about Alexa not activating your Ring device in our Community post here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Chelsea_Ring,

As far as I am aware, the router stays up and running happily as we are using it elsewhere. eg. Last night we were using Netflix to stream to the TV and about 11pm the Doorbell went offline for about 20 minutes.

The WiFi signal to the doorbell is always good/green as it’s located about 2m away from the router.

I will admit I didn’t check the power, but it’s hard wired into the electrics of the house, and there was no issues with the electrics anywhere else.

WRT Alexa, I ask the Echo device “Alexa, Show Front Door on TV” - This just prompts the reply previously mentioned.

If I use the LG TV Remote (with Alexa support) it it comes up with a blank screen and ‘Loading…’ on there. It just sits there indefinitely.

Hey @David9Points, happy to step in for Chelsea here. We appreciate the extra information you shared. What is the RSSI on the Doorbell’s Device Health screen? If the RSSI is fluctuating on the higher side, this could be why it is temporarily losing connection. You can learn more about RSSI in our Community post here. This could also be affecting the Doorbell not pulling up via Alexa.

I’d also recommend looking into the ports and protocols on your router’s settings, as outlined here. Sometimes if these are not properly opened, it can cause concerns when using Alexa to pull up the Live View or with the Doorbell’s connection to the internet.

One more step that we typically recommend when Alexa is not working properly is to disable and reenable the Ring skill within the Alexa App. Should the concern persist after trying what I’ve recommended, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They’ll be able to take a much closer look at your device and offer more advanced support. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support.

Hi Caitlyn,

Thanks for the update.

I’m a little confused, because on two separate occasions, the doorbell has gone offline, and I took screenshots of the status via the app.

On one occasion, the volatage is fine, on another occasion, the voltage isn’t so good.

The WiFi is not an issue as the router is approxmiantely 2m from the doorbell, and the only thing between that is the door itself.

I do have a small issue with the power supplying the doorbell, which I am getting as electrician to look into for me. but because the power is ok with one occasion, and not with the second, this is what confuses me.

Regards

David

@David9Points I appreciate you sharing those screenshots to reference as well. If the power being supplied to the Doorbell is not consistent, this can definitely impact its ability to maintain a reliable connection to the internet. I’d suggest waiting until you have the electrician take a look at the power and get everything with that fixed. If the concern still persists after correcting any power issues, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They’re able to take a much closer look at your device and its performance in order to diagnose the cause of this concern. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support.

Thanks Caitlyn.

I’ll wait until the electrician has sorted out the power, then if necessary I’ll call one of the support numbers.

Out of interest, ar the support number a premium rate number?

or are they just normal rate?

Regards

David

Sounds good! You should not have any cost associated with our support line. Mind me asking where you are located? I can then share the correct phone number for you, in the case you need to reach out :slight_smile:

Jennifer,

Thanks for the confirmation, I have already looked up the phone number, it’s St. Albans (01727) number