Alarm System: Gen 2 Base Station vs Gen 1 Base Station

Hi,

I have a Gen 1 Alarm System and I just got a Gen 2 Alarm System. Comparing the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Base stations, they both look identical, and the Sku #'s are same.

Anyone can shed the light,

if the base station for Gen 1 and Gen 2 systems are the same in the station’s features or how it works with devices, or the hardware/firmwares are different on the inside?

I won’t need to replace the existing Gen 1 base station - with the newly purchased Gen 2 base station? Or I should ‘upgrade’ and use the Gen 2 base station?

Thanks.

Hi,

Just wonder if there’s any difference on the range extender for gen 1 vs gen 2 (eg hardware spec, range, etc.)

Two things I notice - it seems the Gen 2 Range Extender:

1. has a button on the front. Anyone can explain how that is to be used?

2. no longer has a door to access the lithium battery like the Gen 1 Range Extender.

Anyone has info on how to open the Gen 2 Range Extender when battery replacement is needed?

Thanks.

Hi @Kenny326. I’d be happy to try and answer all of your questions. First, you can check out our Help Center Article here, which goes over all of the differences between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Ring Alarm system. All Ring Alarm security devices are compatible with every Base Station. You can mix and match 1st and 2nd generation Ring Alarm Contact Sensors, Motion Detectors, Range Extenders, Keypads and third-party devices with any Ring Alarm Base Station.

As for the Range Extender, the 2nd gen is designed to be easier to use with a new button and indicator light on the front. Should you run into any concerns with the Range Extender regarding the battery, you’d want to contact our support team so they can take a look at the warranty and determine the best course of action. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.