Alarm Feature Request

I would like to see an optional upgraded keypad that includes a touchscreen. The basic keypad is great for a starter package, but it would be nice to have a full-featured touchscreen option too. Please include an option for concealed hard-wiring if this is developed.

The screen should be configurable so it’s always on and clearly shows the status of the system.

Thank you!

2 Likes

There is the duress code that can be entered that will send police without an alarm sounding. There is a separate panic button you can buy. I am not sure if it sets off the siren though. Also have you tried turning the volume all the way down on the base unit?

1 Like

I read the first few pages, as well as the last few pages, but didn’t see this type of request, so I do apologize if it is a duplicate.

Single button arm from the panel.

I want to be able to simply press the Home or Away button and move on. Also, I want a guest to be able to leave and arm the house, but not necessarily be granted a user code to disarm.

I see this is possible via Alexa integration, and that may be my only current option. If I’m overlooking something, please let me know.

1 Like

I realize that Ring is about simplicity but the volume settings are oversimplified being all or nothing and this can create false alarms. We need independent volume control of the entry/exit delay sounds vs. the other keypad clicks, mode change announcements and sensor protest announcements to reduce false alarms.

If we could set the entry/exit delay tones independently, we could set them to be louder but leave the rest of the sounds either muted or low, this would reduce the chance of false alarms, especially for guest users or others who do not have app access or their phone handy. This is especially important because the entry/exit tones are already less harsh than many other alarm systems so they are harder to hear as it is.

In my home, I leave in the early morning hours so having the mode status announcement low or off is ideal for those who are still asleep but when my kids come home later in the day and they can’t hear the entry delay tones, they don’t know to disarm the alarm until it’s too late. Please address this oversimplified shortcoming!

The setting could still be pretty simple and look like this:
Entry/Exit Tones:
|------------------------------±–|
Mode Status Announcements & all other sounds:
|–±------------------------------|

In order to roll this out without affecting user’s current volume setting, I would also suggest a default checkbox that enables or disables the “master slider” concept as it is today. With this checked, sounds would work as they do today, everything controlled by a single “master” slider. With the box unchecked, it would expose the indpendent sliders for entry/exit and mode status as separate sliders.

Adjust all sounds together (Master slider)
|----------------------------±—|

1 Like

I think it’s annoying that this got moved to the gigantic “feature request” thread where it will get zero attention. There should be an entire forum dedicated to feature requests instead of a single thread. A single thread is too hard to read through as a user and makes responses harder to track. So, I guess my request will go to the black hole with all the rest…sigh.

Hello from the UK! I have lots of Ring equipment here in the UK, and literally have a Ring of security currently with 3 spotlight cams, a video doorbell Gen 1, and an old retro black stickup cam out front. I was quite excited to replace my existing alarm system with Ring Alarm when it launched, but there are a few things that would prevent me selling my Yale Sync and installing Ring. I feel there are several things missing from the system for all Ring Alarm customers worldwide.

1. Sound Repeaters. I would really find it handy to have my Chime and Chime Pro able to make the same sounds as a alarm would, be it voice prompts, warnings, etc. The keypad speaker needs to be louder too. Ring alarm needs to mean business, not mutter quietly in the corner.

2. An external siren. This is a pretty important one guys! I’ve seen videos online in the USA where a womans ring alarm detected an intruder, who promptly barracaded himself in her home and then put the alarm base station in a sink of water upstairs in the bathroom. I have got to question this and ask, would the intruder have been so eager to try to do this had their been a big white ring branded siren on the wall outside going crazy and the outer edge of the box flashing a big blue ring? I think not, and actually, would said intruder have even attempted to break in to the house had this external siren been present outside. Possibly not. That ring of blue light i spoke of could also flash occasionally via solar power to act as a visual deterrent.

3. Other Accessories.

Why isnt there a keyfob, or a proxy tag reader?

1. Keypad with LCD screen/touch display

I like to see my security systems status at a moments notice, I just cant help feeling that the Ring Keypad is a little basic. Same thing with my Sync. It would also be nice to be able to see whats going on on screen without having to refer to the app.

Thanks

TM

1 Like

Please add a “sound the siren” feature to Stick Up cams setup as a linked device to the base station alarm system.

I have a stick up cam elite mounted outside and would be great if it could sound the siren when the base station alarm goes off so that the neighbours could hear it as well. Right now, the linked device feature only allows for video recording.

First, a way to search this thread to see if I will be asking the same question.

As someone mentioned 3 different modes. Away (all sensors), home (no motion sensors) and sleep (some motion sensors).

If you had 2 keypads, could each keypad set which sensors will trigger? I have 2 keypads. One at the front door and one in the hallway. The front door keypad would normally be used in the Away mode. The hallway keypad would be used for Home mode. I would like the front door keypad to set Away ( all sensors) and Home (no motion sensors). The hallway keypad when set to Away would also set all sensors but when Home (sleep mode) set selected motion sensors.

Could even go a set further with 3 keypads. One in the garage. If I am out in the garage working. I would like to put the house itself in Away mode with non of the sensors in the garage set.

HELLO,

On the alarm in the ring app.... you should have it to where you can arm it with a fingerprint or your code. As of now you dont have to do anything but press a button and thats a security issue if for some reason a client leaves their phone unlocked. .. yes they shouldnt but it happens and then anybody could unarm the system. There should be more options on the alert sounds such as " front door open, back door open, garage open " it would also be nice to have a working unit on display in stores  or if you would open a lobby that sold ring products to test them out. The keypad itself is very user friendly but you should come out with one thats a touchscreen and more up to date on todays technology. I love the ring products theyre coming out with it just needs a little tweaked and up to date.
2 Likes

I just setup Ring Alarm and used Retrofit kit for existing hard wire sensors in home. I am very happy how well Ring retrofit kit worked and setup was easy!

I have a feature request as new customer and see this feature beneficial.

Feature Request: Would like a small light sensor developed that is drilled and inserted in door that shows a Red light if Alarm is activated. My experience shows while in “Home” alarm mode it is unknown easily to family if the system is alarmed. Having a simple small red light attached to door showing the door is alarmed would reduced many triggered door openings when alarmed.

I envision a small light censor with battery where you drill a hole in door and insert censor. It shows red light if alarm is activated. It connects WiFi to Ring alarm like other sensors.

I see benefit and would pay for this product to minimize family opening doors when alarm is activated in Home mode.

Everyone. Please comment if you would like to see this feature/product added!

Thanks!

@JoCoGuy wrote:

I would like to see an optional upgraded keypad that includes a touchscreen. The basic keypad is great for a starter package, but it would be nice to have a full-featured touchscreen option too. Please include an option for concealed hard-wiring if this is developed.

The screen should be configurable so it’s always on and clearly shows the status of the system.

Thank you!

When I first investigated the Ring alarm I was surprised that the keypad was so basic. I get that they’re trying to come in at a certain price point, and that the app is the main configuration inerface. But there’s not even an option to upgrade to a touchscreen keypad at a higher price point. I’d pay extra for a touch screen keypad with options to configure it in a way that works for me.

2 Likes

@LandCruiser wrote:

I think it’s annoying that this got moved to the gigantic “feature request” thread where it will get zero attention. There should be an entire forum dedicated to feature requests instead of a single thread. A single thread is too hard to read through as a user and makes responses harder to track. So, I guess my request will go to the black hole with all the rest…sigh.

This is the first company I’ve dealt with that uses a single, ‘flat’ thread for feature requests. It’s definitely a poor solution, but as the saying goes it’s better than a hole in the head. It also doesn’t help that most people don’t use the Quote feature when replying to another post which makes it difficult to follow a conversation thread.

2 Likes

I would like the home/away/disarmed buttons to stay lighted even when on battery so I can tell what mode it is in without looking at a phone or walking in front of keypad to trigger its motion sensor. This is very useful when we walk around in home and just by looking at the keypad we know the system status.

3 Likes

Would like the option of having the blue status light on the alarm control panel to stay off when door or window is left opened.

Currently it goes off for 15 seconds and comes back on whether or not the window or door is opend or closed.

This gives a false sense of security when you look at the panel before you arm it.

FYI - I have 3 control panels mounted and continuously powered on.

Ring Alarm Panel.pdf (653 KB)

Retrofit Kit & Alarm History

I’ve successfully set up the Retrofit Kit to use my old PIR motion sensors. Problem is, in my Ring app, the History section is littered with countless motion triggers from when we walk around the house. This effectively makes the History feature useless.

The solution is to have Filter button on the History window. List all of my sensors and allow me to check which ones should appear in the History window. In my case, I’d exclude these motion zones.

As a separate issue, I worry what these constant motion alarms triggers are going to do to the battery life of the retrofit kit. It’s basically communicating with the base station constantly while the family is home and moving around.

Hello there !

Some of the below items have been requested and probably being worked on. I am a new user and wanted to amplify the need for these features as well as add one or two possible new ones.

1. Home and Away icons on keypad are not easily recognizable. Either color code it or label it clearly. Right now, I have stickers that say which is which.
  2. Add a custom mode option to use where sensors are configured differently (trip vs don’t trip etc) that are different from home and away. Technically today’s implementation of home and away are not that different, since all that is different is which sensors trip and which do not. But a 3rd one is required when someone wants a mix of both for specific needs such as arming some motions at night to trip.
  3. Allow a ‘no delay’ feature that can be set on any mode. A no-delay should trip immediately irregardless of sensor placement (main door or secondary door or window). The use case would be when someone wants to arm the alarm on ‘Home’ , but with no delay. Allows moving about , but immediately trips if an intrusion occurred no matter the door type.
  4. Allow adding 2 more contacts in monitoring settings (for professional monitoring). With the ability to re-arrange in order of preference. So, Ring would still only call up to 3 contacts in order of preference, but user can swap contacts, should they be traveling or not available , instead of having to erase / edit
  5. Have a ‘bypass sensor(s)’ pre-select checkbox feature that can be custom set prior to arming. This will allow for 2 or more sensors to be bypassed when needed.
  6. Perhaps introduce a zwave small LED panel (accessory) that connects to the base station and provides a text status of what is going on (armed, home, sensor status etc). Can be mounted anywhere / kept near when sleeping.
  7. Ability to turn Chime on/off , including audible on/off., so blaring messaging can be limited or avoided when arming, disarming or other.

Thank you and Happy New Year !

RM

1 Like

Hi—We really need this for all cameras as an option. This was available on the Simplisafe cameras which was great. They were always detecting motion when you were armed. Thanks–dxfiles!

I came here looking to suggest the same. When we moved into our house it had an old ADT system that I resurrected. We soon got tired of punching in keycodes so I found some cheap fobs online and programmed them for the system. Appreciate being able to disable the system by the app, but a fob is so much easier.

My car has 3 built in buttons for a garage door opener. This means I have a spare one - would be great if it could be programmed to work with ring too - that way I can disarm the ring system and then open garage door all from my car’s built in buttons. 9 times out of 10 when I arrive at the house its in my car.

totally. It’s unbelievable that we don’t have this feature…

The one feature I miss from our last alarm company is that we were able to configure contact sensors to send us an email or SMS notification when they were opened. In particular we used this for our liquor cabinets to ensure our kids or their friends weren’t going where they shouldn’t be.

1 Like