A day's worth of observations...

I took my doorbell out of the box a little over a day ago. Here are some of the things I have found…

• Yesterday the battery level within the android app reported 63%. I charged the device and watched the blue dial work its way around (blinking) until the circle was complete and no longer blinking. The ring app *still* reported 63%. I rebooted my router and the app then reported 100% charge. NOTE : the device had a good wifi connection the whole while because doorbell rings resulted in notifications to the app…

• I had a ton of problems with motion. Sometimes it worked. Often it did not. I spent the better part of an hour last night on the phone with support. We tried everything (and this guy seemed to be sharp) and ultimately declared the hardware was bad. Today, on a whim, I removed the clear plastic protectors from the top and bottom of the device. Motion now works ! (I still need to play with some of the settings but at the moment the frequency is set to standard and I think it is ok).

Edit : This device will replace a Panasonic KX-T30865 Doorphone - which had 2 ‘thin-ish’ wires attached. Everything I read, and at least one of the ring support people, said the existing wiring would not work with the ring doorbell. Earlier today I hooked it up anyway and the dial button was illuminated solid white. I don’t know that it will charge - but at least someone approaching at night will know it is there.