2nd Gen alarm - UK release + accessories (keypad)

Which also includes an outdoor siren :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback on this, neighbors. We are excited to announce the Alarm 2nd Generation is coming soon for our UK neighbors! For more details please visit our Alarm 2nd Generation webpage. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have been waiting for the 2nd Gen alarm to become available. During this time I have looked at some reviews and YouTube unboxing and setup videos. What is apparent from the videos is the cost U.S. customers were paying at the original release, compared with U.K. prices.
We will be charged Β£219, while in the U.S. the introductory price was shown as $199.99. At the current exchange rates this shows U.K. customers having to pay 50% more. Where is the justification for this?

Hi @Beejayar. While the devices look the same, there are a number of differences in the products and the features offered. Our top priority is to ensure our customers have the best possible experience with effective, affordable products, and services. While prices can change per country, we continue to innovate products that we think our neighbours will love, and that will make a positive impact on home and neighbourhood safety. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi Tom, thanks for your reply. Can you please list some of the product and feature differences that make the 2nd Gen alarm so different from the version released earlier in the United States?
To me it is so obvious that U.K. consumers are poorly served in the pricing and upgrading of smart technology. Manufacturers and suppliers tend to use a 1:1 dollar:pound price ratio when selling but are tardy when it comes to updating/upgrading hardware and software here.

Hi @Beejayar. The key feature that differentiates the US version of the Ring Alarm from the UK, is the Cellular Backup. The components used in the Base Station for the Cellular Backup are region specific. This is why a US Ring Alarm will not function properly in the UK, and vice versa. With the 2 units having to use different components in order to bring a similar experience to neighbours in both regions, there is a price difference. I hope this information is helpful.

1 Like

Hi Tom. Once again thank you for your reply. However, I don’t think you have answered my query as to why the 2nd Gen alarm system appears to be up to 50% more expensive in the United Kingdom than the United States. If anything, you have shown that it should be cheaper as there appear to be fewer features available here.
It seems, U.K. customers are being shortchanged in the smart home market.