Different Chime Tones based on which doorbell or camera activated

Here to add my frustration. I bought (2) ring doorbells, (2) ring chimes, (1) ring solar panel and (1) lighted ring camera to protect my office. I have 4500 sq ft of space and 2 rooms so those in the back don’t hear the front and those in the front dont hear the back. All i want is a ring to know if there’s a delivery in the back or someone at my front door. But that’s such a complex idea that I’d have to buy (4) chimes to get that capability in both area’s of the office.

We’re about to move offices and I’ll be chucking the whole system and shutting off my recording features. If a money grab is what they want, they can just lose me as a customer.

5 Likes

Must admit, I didn’t fully research my purchase as I just assumed that these smart devices would do this as a standard feature! Not sure if the Google one does, but it announces on the Nest/home so probably says something like ‘front door’.

It is tedious to have to check the phone/doors when you hear ‘a’ ring on the chime. Not smart for a smart system. Please fix.

6 Likes

I have voted for this in the feature add board. There seem to be two voting lines - one with 8 or 9 votes as at today and this with 40.

3 Likes

It is now July 2022, this very frustrating problem remains as well as the misleading promotional information. Apparently no one from Ring cares about their customers.

3 Likes

Hello Ring, this should be easy fix. I just one one chime to tell me, if somebody is rang the front door or back door.

It is not too much to ask. What is the issue? Do you need coder to code it? Let me know I will find one for you. People has been asking this for couple years now and you can’t put this function. Really?

3 Likes

Please add the ability for each chime pro to ring a particular chime tone for one door of the house and a unique different chime tone for any other door of the house when a doorbell is rung. As it is now if a doorbell is rung, and we have two of them, the chimes ring the same tones for each door. It would definitely be more helpful if the chimes could ring one tobe for the front door and one tone for the back door, for example. This would make it easier to know which doorbell is being rung.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS…I’m just discovering this issue and I have a larger house with a front and back door. I’d like to think that it would be relatively simple enough to add an option whereby when a new ring chime is being added, the user would be able to select “mirror the ringtone settings of another ring chime device”. That would resolve the very real frustrations people have here. Especially because many users have both a front and back door—- so I really hope this is getting high priority attention.

I just bought my 2nd Ring doorbell for the back door with the assumption that I’d be able to differentiate the chimes for motion and doorbell rings from the front door and back door on my single chime device. I agree with everyone here that this is ridiculous. I had been thinking about also installing Ring cameras around the exterior of the house, but the idea that I can’t differentiate where motion was detected with the chime is crazy. Come on Ring - how hard could this feature possibly be to add???

This feature is so long overdue. Is there an update yet?

Add me to the list! This is just stupid. If I understand the setup correctly after just receiving one, you also can’t buy a 2nd chime and have it set up to a specific doorbell. Seriously?

I am sure they do. But not everyone may want to shell out an extra $200 for a back door doorbell. I suspect that there are exponentially more single doorbell owners than there are multiple Ring DB owners.

That said, this seems like it shouldn’t be any harder than adding a couple of lines of code to the next update. There is no excuse for this not to be a feature. We are not asking the chime to solve for Pi for crying out loud!!!

Further, in its current format, it seems like it would DISCOURAGE potential repeat customers from investing in a second Ring DB.

JMHO

This is totally ridiculous!
What does Ring expect customers to do???
Buy multiple chimes for multiple doorbells for multiple floors in their home, so they can just know which door someone is at???

Get REAL!!! FIX THIS!!!

It is either sheer stupidity on the engineers and designers…

Or it was intentional, so as to exploit and RIP OFF their customers.

2 Likes

Yep, like the other users, total surprise to find out that we couldn’t give each doorbell a separate chime sound.

Major lack of foresight from Ring on this. Massive gap in functionality and a huge usability issue.

And this has been an outstanding issue now for an age looking at the comments here. Is it actually going to be addressed does anyone know?

Do Blink or any other competitors have this functionality addressed anyone know?

2 Likes

Same here. Very frustrating. Even kangaroo devices, which are pretty awful and short-lived can do that!!

3 Likes

Frustrating for sure. At our house we have four Ring Door Bells and need all four of our Ring Chime devices to ring for all four door bells, but different tones for each door bell so we know which one to go answer. It’s maddening. We don’t live with our phone glued to our hands. This is a simple software programming fix that should have been made part of the original software. It’s a no brainer. Ugh!

1 Like

Just adding to the thread here. With two ring door bells, and unable to distinguish the front door from the back door, because it all plays the same chime. IMHO this is a feature that should have been added long ago - I believe the system is sophisticated enough to know which door bell is ringing, so why not be able to have a different chime for it? I am with chime pro, so assume there is enough brain in there to make it happen!

2 Likes

It would be very helpful to have different chimes for different doors/cameras. We want to know if someone is at our front door or if the feral cats we take care of are at the back door.

2 Likes

I also agree with the multiple users requesting this functionality. My old mechanical doorbell had separate ring tones for my front and back doors. How can a tech company like Ring not have this simple feature? Please add this to the requested feature list.

1 Like

I think it is very primitive that we have to guess which door needs answering. I have had cheap Chineseum doorbells up until I bought into Ring, and they were able to have a single chime with different tones depending on the doorbell that was pressed.
I was really surprised to see that Ring, a tech company, did not have that basic functionality.
Ideally, I would like to have three chimes, one for upstairs, one for the lounge and one for the kitchen to give me notification of visitors. As it stands at the moment, I would have to buy 6 chimes to do that, which is a money grab if I ever saw one, and I will not be doing it.
My front and rear doors are quite a distance apart, and neither visible from a central location. It is a guessing game with a 50/50 chance of going to the wrong door.
If I had a third Ring doorbell, I would need nine chimes! Nine!

I am quite surprised at how few views and votes this post has generated since it started.
Surely a lot of people have two doorbells, and would like a single chime to be able to identify which door needs attention via different tones generated for each door.
This post needs constant votes and updates to keep it at the top of the list.

2 Likes

I came across this page a few minutes after ordering a second Ring doorbell for our backdoor. Managed to cancel the Amazon order and I now looking for a ‘Plan B’

3 Likes